Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Eve

There is a tradition in the Funk family of opening presents on Christmas Eve. Instead of a formal dinner, the meal consists of appetizers and everyone kind of makes their favorites. I love being a part of it and having it as a tradition in our family right now. 

Christmas eve celebrations for 2010 began with a Christmas Eve service. I believe that there is something to be learned from the Christmas story every year, even though we all have heard it so many times! At the service the pastor really dove into the gifts given by the wise men and the symbolism, very beautiful.

 Then it was back to the Funk house to finish making the rest of the appetizers. Instead of some of the usual appetizers this year, Michael and I decided to make sushi!!
 We had cooked the rice earlier in the day, according to specific sushi directions we found. For our fillings we decided to do avocado, smoked salmon, cucumber, and cream cheese.
 Well, that is where we split. I'm not a huge cream cheese fan and Michael is not a cucumber fan. So I made salmon, avocado, cucumber sushi rolls, and Michael made cream cheese, salmon, and avocado rolls.

Our glorious creation!
 They turned out very well!! We were pleasantly surprised considering how complicated everyone says sushi is to make.


Gotta try it to make sure it is good!

Explaining to Bruce the difference in the sushi rolls
They were delicious! Michael and I are definitely going to be making sushi much more often at home now! Maybe I'll have to post a recipe with detailed instructions to make it work. We had a little inside help from the lady at Whole Foods. After appetizers, came gifts and then a rowdy game of "To tell the truth". Gina made a post about the presents and game and has pictures so to see the rest of our Christmas Eve, visit her page here. It was the best! Hope your Christmas holidays were also filled with such joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment