Thursday, August 23, 2012

Adventures in Plattsburgh

While I was on my own half-way across the country, I really tried to branch out and be independent, you know, the put together, confident woman that you see walking down the street.  Well, that is totally not me.  But I tried and I was independent for a day. 

While downtown, I saw this car.  I forgot to include it in the other photos.  It was a really old car with the truck that is the back seat when you fold it out.  And notice the car seat back there, what a lucky kid!  That looks like so much fun!


Anyway, I left you with my adventure as I was heading from the War of 1812 museum to Lake Placid, an hour away.  It was a pretty drive.  Unfortunately the day was pretty overcast and cloudy and rain kept coming and going.   But that did not stop me from taking a detour at Whiteface Mountain, the ski mountain by Lake Placid, that may or may not have downhill biking trails...

Yep, I rented a downhill bike, and went biking for the afternoon, or at least tried.  I obviously didn't fly to Plattsburgh prepared to ride a bike.  I was able to ride for about an hour and 15 minutes before I was completely rained out.  I mean like downpour.  I haven't seen it rain this hard anywhere yet this year.


It made me quite sad, and brought my afternoon of biking to a close quite early but they people were really nice and gave me a pair of gloves since I spent money to ride and they had to shut down early due ot the rain.  But I still had a good time. 
I really liked that helmet!  Talk about stylin!

Here is my hillbilly photo, or at least this is what Mike called it.  Let this be a lesson for "what not to wear" when you go downhill mountain biking.  But it was all I had, steel toe boots and all.

You can see Whiteface Mountain in the distance here


And here is a pic a little closer.  Upper New York is a beautiful area!


After the lift for mountain biking closed, I returned to my car to finish going to Lake Placid.


Funny story, but I never actually saw Lake Placid.  You can't see it from the town.  But I went to the training center and their little museum about the winter olympics.



Bobsleds are cool.  How awesome would it be to actually get to ride in one!



I also went to their ice rink and was able to watch the next generation of olympians practice (meaning I watched all the young girls out there practicing who are in training programs).  They were so good!  And they looked like 9 years old.
The olympic hockey and ice skating rink is to the right.  To the left is the main road in Lake Placid through their little downtown.
It was an entertaining time.  I headed back to Plattsburgh so I could grab some dinner and finish getting ready to fly out in the morning.  I ate a restaurant right on Lake Champlain.

 And the restaurant was called...

Yep, it was called the Naked Turtle.  No one got naked, but a bunch of weird people talked to me where I sat.  I swear, the worst part about traveling is eating meals in restaurants by yourself.  You either get weird people who want to tell you their life story, or you get gross guys hitting on you that don't care you are married.  I can't win.

I flew out Friday morning at 6am, so I had an early wake up call to get to my flight.  In small towns the airport may open after you get there, so log that away.  It was the weirdest thing to be sitting out side the airport at 4:30am and have no one else there and all the doors be locked.

But I was able to fly home.


And I left early enough that you could get an amazing view of the sun over the clouds from the plane!

I love clouds.  They make you feel like you could just lay on them, or reach out and grab a handfull. 

It was definitely good to be home though!  There is no place like home...

No comments:

Post a Comment