Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Snow shoeing, Colorado style

This past weekend was the most relaxing weekend I have had in a loonngg time.  I did nothing.  No crazy trips, no day long mountain bike rides, just staying mostly at home.  We has some bad (by bad I mean awesome snow!) weather this weekend and got a fair amount of snow in the mountains but not too much at our house.  It mostly rained in Denver mixed with some sleet.  Saturday, Michael left me all day to go fishing  west of Colorado Springs.  I just did whatever I wanted all day.  One of the things I did, since I knew it was snowing in the mountains, was go buy Michael a pair of snowshoes with some gift money we had.  If I went ahead and bought them, then I knew he would have no excuse to not go snowshoeing with me the next day.

So snowshoeing we went!  And it was so much fun!

Michael and his new snowshoes
I knew it was still snowing up in the mountains on Sunday morning, but it was sunny and chilly in Denver, so I didn't even think twice about bringing extra clothes or anything.  On our way out, we got sidetracked looking for Michael's lost hat and guess what blonde move I pulled?  I forgot my coat, meaning that when we got to the mountains and it was 2 degrees F and really windy, that I had to wear Michael's high visibility Milwaukee coat.  A little big and puffy, but warm.




It was truly a winter wonderland.  All blustery and snowy, cold, yet breathtakingly beautiful.  We were above Loveland Ski Area by the Eisenhower Tunnel.


On our way back down the mountain, we found a little shack.


There was a wood  stove inside, and a shovel, and a chair.  There was also a note from some kids who found the shack saying to enjoy and make some food, but not to destroy the place.



We might try go back there sometime and hang out and warm up while we are back-country skiing and snowshoeing.


On the way back, since it was so cold, we decided to stop for some hot cider and hot cocoa.


When we got home, we just relaxed for the rest of the day and watched a movie and got ready for our week.  Ahh, weekends like that, I love them!                  

No comments:

Post a Comment