Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11

It really struck me today how defining 9/11 was for all of us in this country.  This event happened 12 years ago, and yet, all of us will remember where we were and what we were doing the day we heard the news.

I remember I was at home watching Daniel and Hannah, and I called my mom to ask if we were going swimming later.  Swimming was such a trivial thing when we saw what was going on.  I was 14 years old and even at that age it was hard to grasp what was happening.  I remember feeling guilty in the days to follow that we were continuing our normal lives, while on the other side of our country, life had ended and would never be the same for so many.

I ran across this blog post today and I encourage you all to read it.  It is a cry for peace, but peace first begins with us.
http://momastery.com/blog/2013/09/11/let-begin/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=let-begin
I like what she first states in her article, that we like to say "terrorists, or hijackers took down those towers."  It makes them sound so evil, so foreign, but in reality, it was people who took down those towers.  Men, who were once babies in their mother's arms took down those towers.

Peace begins with us and how we treat those around us.

Do not misconstrue my words, I am not saying that what happened wasn't horrific and that we shouldn't have made moves to defend ourselves.  I am just saying how quick are we to jump to conclusions that because of a person's upbringing, race, sex, family, etc we make certain assumptions about their character or their standing with God.  I am still guilty of this, but I am trying very hard to remove these prejudices.   I am pretty sure that God says "while you were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly" and "for God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son."

Notice God said he loved the world, not just the United States of America. and not just Israel, but the whole wide world.

I don't understand how such evil can exist.  It breaks my heart to hear and see such things happening in our world.  But if it is one thing I do know, it is that God made humans in his image and He died for all of us.  ALL of us.  Even those who hurt, murder, lie, cheat, and steal.  Satan hates us, so he will do whatever he can to turn us against each other in order to hurt each other and God.  

Lord, I pray for peace and understanding.  I pray for comfort for those who lost family and friends on this day.  I pray for those who seek to harm others, that you will send a light to shine in the darkness of their hearts so they can fully see, and will no more be blinded by this world or by Satan.  Thank you for your grace and mercy.


P.S.  I made this blog as a place to share my life and thoughts.  If you do not agree with me, that is fine, but you do not need to tell me that here.  Just remember what your mother said, if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment