Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Natural Skin Care Routine

If any of you have known me for a decent amount of time, you will know that I am somewhat of a natural health freak.  Not about everything, you have to pick your battles, but I try to avoid conventional medicine and seek out more natural options when I can.

One of those is skincare.  I had clear skin throughout highschool and into my early college years.  Around my junior year, my skin went haywire and has been pretty bad ever since.  The only time it was clear again was while I was on birth control.  Well, if you want to have a family, you can't be on BC, so I started trying to search for other options for my skin besides harsh chemical routines (like proactive).  

Besides just general acne, I had really oily skin as well.  It was terrible, for those of you who have oily skin, you understand.  I hated that shine on my face by afternoon and makeup would look so gross by the end of the day, not to mention if I wore makeup, my skin would break out even more when I did wear makeup.  It was terrible.  I tried so many different skincare regimens, creams, acne spot treatments, you name it.  I tried even natural acne routines, with expensive products from natural stores.  Proactive ended up working the best but it was kind of expensive, and so harsh on my skin.  My face always felt so rough.

So I started doing some research.  I finally came across one skincare method which really intrigued me, and made sense, it was called oil cleansing.  You actually wash your face with oil.

Huh?  That is exactly what they tell you not to do when you have oily skin.  You are "supposed" to wash your face twice a day with an oil free cleanser and then apply oil free lotion and apply harsh alcohol toners before so you do not produce so much oil.  Well, this oil cleansing method and its proponents claimed that is the exact reason why you have acne.  Your face is so oily because you are constantly stripping all the oil away, so your body is frantically trying to produce more oil to protect your skin!

I decided to give it a try, what did I have to lose?  And it has been amazing!

My acne didn't go away completely.  We figured out that hormones are the major player in my acne, but my oily skin was no more and my acne seriously decreased.  Not to mention my skin feels soft and healthy, not dry and scaly.  And it is completely natural.  I am not longer putting tons of chemicals on my skin everyday, multiple times a day.  And it hasn't been an issue with makeup either.  I still use eye makeup remover and then just use the oil method and it takes makeup off as well.  Here is the link to the regimen I use.  It is so easy.  I add tea tree oil to my oil mixture since I do have acne problems and that is something that is known to be good for acne.

It is also really cheap.  I bought bottles of caster oil, grape-seed oil, and jojoba oil and am still on my original containers, about a year later.  It is a little bit more time consuming for your bedtime regimen, but worth it.  If my skin feels really dirty, I will use a tiny bit of baking soda mixed with water in the shower to wash my face, and then apply jojoba oil as the moisturizer.  The biggest compliment I have gotten is how balanced my skin looks now, no more oil sheen.  Now if we can just get the rest of the acne to go away, I'll be happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment