
And you have a glass of wine. The blessing over the bread is called the Ha-motzi and over the wine is called the Kiddush. It is almost exactly what we do in church on Sunday morning. We say a blessing over the wine and bread, then partake. Same thing, except the blessing/prayer is always the same at shabbat, and they both just say how blessed is the Lord, who brings for bread for us, or who give us the fruit of the vine. Very meaningful. They then eat a traditional dinner which usually consists of gefilte fish, salads, chicken, rice, and matza ball soup. Although I know that eating other foods is done occasionally. i love matza ball soup, especially if you fill it full of chicken and veggies with the matza balls. History of matza ball soup can be found here. this is actually a cool article if you like history at all. Sorry I'm linking everything, I guess I feel others can explain better than i can some things.
There are other traditions, such as songs, prayers, handwashings, etc. but I am not as familiar with those. If you want to know how a whole shabbat dinner goes at an orthodox jewish home click here. But as many of you know, I believe in Jesus, whereas orthodox Jewish relgion does not believe that Jesus was the son of God, or the Messiah. But I still love to celebrate this tradition of Shabbat, or the Holy Days that God mentions in the Bible. If Jesus's parents were jewish, and I'm pretty sure they were, I know that Jesus was a part of these same holidays and shabbat dinners. He celebrated those! Well, that is my take/belief. I'm so glad that I do know Jesus and that He came.
So, that is Shabbat. I did attend a Messianic Jewish church for a couple years while I was in high school with my family, so I am more familiar with the kind of Jewish side that believe in Jesus. Someday I'd like to attend a Messianic Jewish church in town, I think there is one. But, Shabbat Shalom everyone (means peaceful sabbath to you!).
No comments:
Post a Comment