This post is also for Day 17.
Saturday mornings are amazing. I love waking up and not having to rush. And since I enjoy baking and cooking, I love making Saturday morning breakfasts. When Megan and I lived together in college, we used to make pancakes on Saturday mornings most of the time. Breakfast is probably my favorite meal. I love whipping up something delicious with a mug of coffee close by.
Anyway, keeping in line with the fact it was Valentine's weekend, and me and my Valentine had a nice lazy morning, I decided to do something different for breakfast instead of our usually eggs an bacon or sausage. I looked in the fridge and noticed that I still had half a bag of fresh cranberries, which needed to be used. Before we started eating like this, I was using those cranberries to make fresh cranberry muffins and scones (insert drooling, they were so good!). Well, why can't I figure out how to make paleo scones? Was that even possible?
It was! Enter, Sara's Paleo Cranberry Chocolate Scones!
This recipe was adapted from Elana's Pantry, over here. And they are amazing. Michael is even in love with them. I keep seeing him sneak them for a snack.
One thing to note about eating this way and especially trying to bake this way, is that it is not cheap. A bag of flour will cost you around $3.00 and you can make muffin after muffin or cookie, or bread, or whatever. When you use paleo type ingredients, like almond flour or coconut flour, it is much pricier. Like a small bag for around $10.00. Which is why these things are special occasion treats. We eat eggs most mornings of the week and then I will make some pancakes, muffins, or scones on the weekend, only once a week. Okay, disclaimer over, onto the scones.
Paleo Cranberry Chocolate Scones
Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 Cups Almond Flour (also called blanched almond flour or almond meal)
- 1/4 teas. salt
- 1 teas. baking soda
- 1/2 Cup fresh chopped cranberries (or you can use dried, if you use dried, only use 2 cups almond flour)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teas. almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS agave nectar
Instructions:
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cranberries, and choc. chips
- In a smaller bowl, combine egg, almond extract, and agave
- Mix wet ingredients into dry
- Knead dough with hands if necessary to ensure proper distribution of ingredients
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Form dough into 2 little circles so that each one is about ½-inch in thick
- Cut each circle like a pizza, into 8 slices
- If you can, separate, otherwise leave them in the circle
- Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown on top
No comments:
Post a Comment