Friday, March 22, 2013

Sunsets and Waves

As you all know by now, I travel for work sometimes.  Sometimes I get to travel to nice, pretty places.  And sometimes I don't...

But last week I did get to go somewhere pretty, all the way to Brunswick, Georgia, right on the coast.  I got to see the ocean and hear the waves again.  There is something so soothing about hearing waves.  I can't explain it.



I spent each night I was there (two nights total) at St. Simon's Island and watched the sun go down both nights.
See the lighthouse in the background?




There is also something about sunsets that makes you ponder and reflect.  With my fairly recent health news and other life situations, it gave me a good time to just think.  And thinking while looking at a sunset?  Well, how could God not enter into your thought process.  Some days God just feels so far away, and such an abstract concept, but then you see a sunset and you can't help but see the majesty of God and the feeling that something bigger than you could ever understand is working in this world.


When Megan died last year, I spent a lot of time asking God, "why?"  Much like a little child.  I felt like I stepped back into that "why" box again with all of the issues with my health.  "Why God?, What is the purpose of Megan getting cancer or me not being able to own a dog, deal daily with stomach pain, or lose my thyroid?"  How are these things a part of his master plan?  Well, they are.  I know that, it is just hard to accept it sometimes. Are these things supposed to bring us closer to God?  Megan was so close to God in her last days.  You could hear it when she spoke and see it in her face.  Do I have that courage to accept and embrace what God has called "good" for me in my life, trusting Him no matter what, or at what cost?  I feel like I may not be there quite yet, but I want to be.

I have been reading Acts for Bible Study and over and over again the disciples are threatened, kicked out of places, beaten, and yet over and over again we read about how they had joy in the Holy Spirit.  I'm starting to really understand what it means to have joy, versus being happy.  You think you know the difference, but it is very hard to distinguish.  Joy is so different from just being happy.  A latte makes me happy, jeans that fit make me happy, chocolate makes me happy, but those things cannot give me joy.  Joy is not something you can make, it has to be given.  At least this is what I believe.  You won't find any references on this, this is my own personal musings.  I want to have the Joy from the Lord, that cannot be quenched by our silly human problems.

Yep, the ocean and sunsets really makes you assess your priorities in life.  I seem to fall away from what is important so often.  If I do not have the Love of God and a relationship with Christ, I really have nothing.  Thank you Lord for giving me everything I need, and for saving me.        

No comments:

Post a Comment