We had an amazing 4th of July, and I think we started a tradition. Originally we wanted to drive back to Coeur D'Alene for the 4th, but it all fell through. So instead we called up our friends in Colorado and found out if any of them wanted to go camping. We planned a big camping trip in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
We all left 4th of July morning. Most people were from Denver so they only had a three hour drive. From Salt Lake, mapquest said it would take 6 hours to Steamboat, but we made it in 5.5. We got up really early on the 4th and were out the door by 6:00am. One group of our friends got to Steamboat early, and managed to snag the last camping spot in one campground. Steamboat had just put on a fire ban and you could only have a fire in a designated campground and fire ring. We were all worried we wouldn't be able to have a campfire. It's just not camping without a campfire.
Our friends found a great campsite. And I don't know what we would have done without that Milwaukee tent Michael brought, we had a rain shower every day and that was a life saver! On Thursday afternoon we went for a hike, and then chilled at the camp and made dinner before going down the road to watch the fireworks. I don't have any photos, but Steamboat had a great fireworks show!
Then, Friday morning we woke up and made breakfast.
Michael and I also bought a camp stove before this trip. It was SO nice to have a hot drink and hot breakfast in the morning.
I think breakfast burritos are our new camping tradition. Before we would always have poptarts or bagels, something we could eat cold because we could only cook over a campfire with sticks.
| Yummy breakfast burrito!! |
It was such a pretty ride! My friend G and I decided to ride back up the road because we thought it would be easier for me, which it was, but I still had Michael come pick us up. I was able to make it 11 miles though! I am really starting to feel more short of breath and that extra weight. I'm not sure how much longer I will get to be this active still.
Friday afternoon we tubed the Yampa river. I don't have any photos because I didn't want to take anything on the tube and I didn't want to risk ruining a camera. That was fun, it was a little chilly because the sun wasn't out, but after the sun came out it was great! We started out with 5 people tubing and only 2 people actually made it. We had a lot of tube busting going on. I gave my tube up halfway because I was too cold, but it ended up popping on one of my friends later. Oops!
Friday night we had a campfire and just hung out around the fire again. Gotta love campfires!
Saturday morning after breakfast, the groups kind of split up. Michael and two other guys decided to go biking at steamboat mountain and the other 5 of us decided to go hiking. Downhill biking is just too dangerous and risky for me. I love it, and normally I would have gone with them, but I figured hiking was safer for Peanut.
It was a really pretty hike! We hiked up in the Zirkel wilderness area.
The end of the hike was a lake called Micah lake.
It was a looonnng hike. A little too long for me. I kind of wanted to turn around before the lake because I knew I had to get all the way back, but I ended up making it all the way.
There were so many flowers on the trail, with a lot of Rocky Mountain columbines! I love these flowers.
The hike ended up being 8 miles round trip, had I known that, I would have planned better. I was t.i.r.e.d. That was definitely too long for me, but what can you do? I had to walk all the way to make it to the car. I was pretty content not doing much of anything else for the rest of the day. Although we didn't finish hiking until 4:30pm, so by the time we got back to the campsite, it was time to relax.
Unfortunately, while we were hiking, one of Michael's friends he was riding with was injured and they had to take him to the hospital. It was pretty bad, he had a bad concussion and a broken elbow. Michael basically stayed there the whole day. The hurt friend was being released in the morning but we had to leave him in the hospital overnight.
Our last night at camp was, you guessed it, another campfire! Then Sunday morning we were up and packing, and cooking a tasty breakfast of course. :-)
On our way out of town, we stopped by the hospital to say goodbye to Michael's hurt friend. Thankfully he had ridden up with someone else so he had a ride home. Poor guy! Then Michael and I were on our way home. We got home around 4:00pm and after unpacking everything, just vegged out and ate pizza and watched Argo, which if you have never seen it, it is a great movie! And took amazingly long showers too. I think that is the longest I have gone without a shower in quite some time. Hopefully, we will get to do a camping trip like this again next year, but with Peanut!





No comments:
Post a Comment