Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Health Post Update

Well, after mentioning all my health issues before, I figured I should follow up with how that is changing with my pregnancy or how that is affecting my pregnancy.  Thankfully, it is not affecting my pregnancy at all, the Dr's were very concerned at first, but everything seems to be okay right now.

Before I got pregnant, I was following a gluten-free/paleo type diet.  Basically no gluten, low starch, and low to no dairy.  I was doing pretty good, and then I stopped feeling good, which is when I learned I was pregnant.  It was really hard to eat gluten-free/paleo during the first trimester.  All I wanted was breads, pizza, and macaroni cheese, and donuts.  :-)  So I went back to eating all my old wheat staples.  And I still felt terrible, but what of that was pregnancy vs eating wheat, I don't know.  Well, it was mostly pregnancy, as I learned later.  But I had specifically been avoiding gluten because I had read several articles about high thyroid antibodies and gluten sensitivities and that they were linked.  Something to do with similar proteins and a similar auto-immune response.  So in an attempt to help my thyroid, I had stopped eating all wheat and gluten.

As my pregnancy progressed into the second trimester, the doctor was encouraged to see that my thyroid hormone levels were still normal, meaning that Peanut's thyroid will develop just fine.  There is a chance that pregnancy can aggravate thyroid conditions and push the mom into either a hypo or hyperthyroid condition. She checked my antibody levels again and they are actually lower than they were before, although still elevated.  And I feel good.  I am not having any stomach issues or any of my old food issues.  Basically, since pregnancy lowers your immune system so you don't attack the baby, it is doing the same for my thyroid and all of my other seeming food intolerance.  Long story short, my body likes being pregnant.

 I am really curious to see what happens after the baby is born and if I will have to go back to a more strict type diet.  The one thing I will add, is that while I was gluten-free/paleo my skin cleared up beautifully, no acne at all.  And I have acne back full force now, but I have been told that it could be pregnancy hormones though, so who knows really.  I am just trying to focus on moderation in all things right now, especially so I am eating a healthy diet with baby.  We'll see how things change after the baby is born and if some of my old issues start cropping up again.

So their you have it!  I will have more blood drawn in the third trimester to make sure everything is still okay, but I'm happy that Peanut is developing just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment