Those things aren't what Christmas is about. The holidays aren't about the presents, the cookies, the traditions, or the tree. It is about a birth just like mine. The birth of a beautiful baby boy. Except that baby boy wasn't Carson Michael Funk, it was the Son of God. It is amazing to review the Christmas story now that I have had a baby and I have kissed the pudgy cheek of a newborn. I'm sure Mary did that to Jesus. And Christ chose to come as a baby? It is mind boggling, really.
Yes, I love the lights, decorations, and holiday baking. But the whole reason for this season is to be thankful and to celebrate the birth of our Lord. I had kind of forgotten about that. Michael and I have so much to be thankful for this year, and to celebrate! We have a beautiful son, who is healthy and whole. I am healing and recovering well and should be back to normal soon, we have a roof over our head and currently have jobs that provide for us. We have food in the pantry, family that loves us, and an awesome marriage. We are blessed.
This year the house may not be decorated well, the tree may be small, and no Christmas goodies are being made, but that doesn't mean that Christmas isn't coming. Everyone was so right when they said a newborn will leave you with no time for anything. It has been humbling to sit back and realize that some of the things I felt were so important around the holidays really aren't, and that they mean nothing in the grand scheme of life. I know when Carson gets older we will get to bring some of these fun traditions back, but this year we are just figuring it out.
I wonder if this is how Mary felt? Overwhelmed, scared, in awe, amazed, and completely in love. Who knew you could feel so many emotions at one time. Thank you Jesus for coming back to save us. Thank you for allowing us the precious gift of children. Having Carson has opened up my eyes and heart to understanding the love of God more, and realizing how much I cannot control. Everything is in God's hands, and I'm okay with that. This Christmas is going to be special in its own way, even if I didn't get to make frosted ginger men. This year, I get to kiss the pudgy cheek of my newborn son, and think about the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, and ponder all these things in my heart, just as Mary did.
Remember the REAL reason for the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment