Thursday, September 11, 2014

Allergy Update

Everyone, my kid has allergies.  He might outgrow them, but he might not.  I feel terrible.  I know it is technically not my fault, but if anyone gave him allergies, it's me.  I am the one with allergies in this family.  I know that of all the things that he could have or that could happen to him, this is a pretty benign health impairment to have, but I feel bad nonetheless.

We decided to visit an allergist after Carson had an anaphylactic reaction to something about six weeks ago. It was scary, his face turned all red and his lip and hands started swelling up.  Since I do have allergies (nuts), I knew what was going on and was able to get benedryl in him right away.  He was fine, but that solidified for me that we need to to some type of allergy testing.  It may not have shown us anything, but I felt like we at least needed to try.

It was a little traumatic, I felt terrible letting them prick Carson, but I knew that it was for the best, especially since I had been unsuccessful in figuring out most of his allergens.  Well, the results concluded that Carson is allergic to milk, egg, peanuts and sunflower.  And he is anaphylactic to sunflower.

It feels so good to just...know.  Now, he still apparently has some other sensitivities, because over the labor day weekend (when I tried too many new things at once :-) he had another allergic type flare up. But since then, he has done great.  I have introduced corn back in and he seems to be doing fine, but doesn't do good with corn syrup, weird right?  He also seems to have an issue with watermelon and possibly soy.  He is fine when I eat beans and peas, but when he eats peas, he gets a diaper rash.  Anyway, we are figuring things out, slowly but surely.  Hopefully he grows out of all these allergies.  It is definitely a possibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment