Oh, the joys of home ownership. About 2 months after we bought our home. I was showering and Michael was downstairs doing the laundry. He all of a sudden runs upstairs and tells me to hurry up and finish because water is coming through the connections in the basement into the laundry room, never something you want to hear.
Well, Michael tried everything to fix it himself but it only seemed to get worse. When we finally called a plumber, he gave us the bad news, that a valve behind the wall in the shower had gone bad and that he was going to have to break through the wall (and through tile, etc) in order to fix the valve. The shower was also old enough that it had the two knobs for hot and cold, and the plumber informed us that he only will work on single pull systems, so he would have had to replace that as well. Since the fix was going to be so invasive, we decided to just replace the whole shower area.
This was our bathroom before, everything was at least 20 years old and the linoleum was peeling a little and the seal on the shower and tub was about done so we felt like it was a good time to just remodel the whole bathroom. We priced everything out and even talked to someone about having it professionally done, but we just couldn't afford the professional. After a lot of hemming and hawing over how much to spend and what we would like to do, Michael and I finally decided with what we wanted in the bathroom and went to home depot and picked everything out. Then we
It started with Mike having to rip everything out.
That was quite the job.
Then it was time to start putting all the new stuff back. My dad was such a help. I don't think we could have done it without him.
We planned on just replacing the shower first, and then doing the toilet and vanity, but Mike and my dad couldn't get the tub in without taking the other things out.
Well, this project turned into way more of an ordeal than originally expected (don't they always). So for the first weekend my dad was up, they only go the shower in and the floor done.
We had my dad come up another weekend to actually tile the shower.
He did an AMAZING job. He didn't like the design I picked, but he did it anyway. And I love it.
After my dad finished the shower and grout. It was up to Michael and I to finish everything else. Well, Michael finished it, I supervised. :-)
I did have a say with all the lights, vanity, mirror, paint, etc.
I really love how it turned out.
What do you think? We are so happy to have a working bathroom upstairs again. Let's just say we are done with home projects for awhile.











No comments:
Post a Comment