Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Life with Two

This morning, Selah needed to nurse and was nursing when Carson banged his head and demanded I hold him.  In this moment (and many others lately) I am acutely aware that I now have two children and can't necessarily give Carson or Selah all my attention anymore. Poor Carson definitely has struggled with this, and I can tell when he needs me to focus on him and give him some one-on-one.  Selah has been (and hopefully will continue to be!) so flexible in this area.  It has been very rare in the last four weeks that she hasn't let me really do something that I need to.


But the biggest thing I want to mention and remember is how much I am loving having two kids!  Everyone told me going from 1-2 was the hardest, which I have found to not be true at all.  Going from zero to 1 child was way more difficult for us.  We are already in the throws of tears, naps, feeding, baths, and diapers. This has been a night and day experience, at least for me.  Having Carson was difficult and that first year was so hard! It is so much easier this time around.  I am just enjoying Selah.  I am not plagued by fear or uncertainty this time around. Is she a perfect baby? No. But for some reason I am not concerned with things as much and if allergies or other things show up, then I will handle it, I've done it before and know we can get through it.


We are slowly settling into things.  I am going to try to start having more of a schedule.  The weather here has been very wet and cool for May so I haven't been able to get Carson out as much as I want to, but I have plans to do that this summer! Carson definitely needs an outlet so I try to get him out of the house in the morning since naps are in the afternoon. I know Selah will become less portable as she gets older and moves to one nap in the morning and one in the afternoon, so I'm not 100% sure what I will do when we get there, but I'm sure we'll figure out a new normal. :-)


I can't believe she is a month old already, she is no longer a newborn, she is now an infant. I need to do a 1 month post with pictures!  Light in our house is terrible and the weather is so gray that I don't have a great spot for a picture right now.



Everyone has asked how Carson is doing with Selah being born.  Well, he has had a hard time.  He is great with baby sister, but is not happy about the lack of attention. He has gotten much rougher with his play and is not listening very well at all. We realize this is a huge adjustment for him so we are trying to be a little sensitive to what has happened in his little world.


Daily I am reminded how blessed we are! I hope we never forget that.  What's up in the future for us this summer?  Hopefully some camping, buying a different vehicle to hold our family, and visits to Kansas and Southern Colorado to see family.  I can't wait. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment