Beginning July 20th, Michael's Dad's Cousin's family (would that be a second cousin?) came to stay with us for nine days in our new little home for a Campus Crusade Staff Conference. Our little home has two bedrooms and one bathroom. Having 8 people in one house with one bathroom was definitely a challenge. More than once someone had to dance in the hallway or brush their teeth in the kitchen sink. It was fun though. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. Getting to know Chuck and Joy and their kids Sarah, Josh, Kaley, and Sam was such a blessing. They are such a Godly family and they show it in how they treated us and our home. And that is a lot to be said considering they stayed nine days!! Those poor kids on the floor...anyway...on the wednesday they were leaving, the 29th, I was still half-sleeping when Michael got up to use the bathroom. When he came back, he snuggles up an mutters sleepily, Sarah wrecked her car last night. The first thought that popped into my mind was the fact he had gone outside to use the bathroom. Oh well, he had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting into that bathroom in the morning. (we kind of just stayed in bed a little late while they were here to give them some space, that way they could get ready and we could just do what we needed when we finally woke up). The second thought was, "oh no, on the last day they were here!" I had my car rear-ended a couple months ago and it sucked. I really felt for them, especially since Sarah is only 16 and they have the two cars up here and were going to be trying to head home! Michael shared how the car's rear end was completely messed up. Well, i admit it, I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Michael couldn't sleep anymore so he got up and went out to the kitchen. I heard him casually ask Sarah about the accident, then heard her say how she wasn't in an accident, and then heard mass hysteria as 5 pairs of feet ran for the front door. Needless to say, I got out of bed and traversed outside as well. the kids were shocked and called their parents pronto. chuck and joy had left at 7am to go to a breakfast, it was roughly 8am when we found the damage. Of course, everyone started putting in opinions of what happened, I won't go on to explain everyone's opinions but basically, we were in the dark for some time about what could have happened. What most likely appeared to have happened, was harry's car (the duplex neighbor) had came out of his garage and ran into sarah while rounding the corner. Well, we know harry and if he had hit the car, he would have knocked on our door to tell us, that is the kind of old man he is. But we couldn't ask him because his garage was open and his car was gone, so we assumed he had left. Here is a key piece of the puzzle, Harry never leaves his garage open and his car gone...
Anyway, it turned into a crazy morning. Everyone left the house to go to their scheduled conference stuff and Michael and I were going to the park when we heard Harry half-way yelling on his phone, in his house. A little bit later he comes storming outside, and says "they stole my damn car!" There you have it! Someone had stolen harry's car, in their hurry backed it out too fast, into the grass, hit sarah's car and drove off. They had found Harry's wallet on a sidewalk about four miles down the road, nothing taken out of it. But they still haven't found the car. Let's just say I'm keeping my doors locked for sure and not leaving anything open anymore. that is always the kind of stuff you hear about somewhere else, not in your neighborhood. It kind of made me realize that sometimes, excitement, intrigue, and mystery aren't as desirable as I first imagined and maybe boring isn't that bad after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment