Tuesday, November 10, 2009

27 years old!

It was Michael's 27th birthday on Thursday the 5th. I was beginning to freak out on Tuesday the 3rd because I had no idea what to do, or really what to get him. I know if I get anything bike related, i'm okay, but all the things of bikes he wants these days are so expensive. So you're put in a hole, spend more money than we should, or get a really amazing gift?

Anyway...I finally figured out what to do on Wednesday. I know that sometime I needed to make a bonnie butter cake for his birthday. This is the cake he grew up with, had only at birthdays. It is a homemade yellow cake with chocolate icing. Let me share something though...it is really hard to surprise your husband, or bake a cake, when HE IS ALWAYS HOME! Lucky for me, wednesday afternoon he wanted to go to the skate park, so I used the time wisely to make a cake, and wrap some gifts.

First of all, we have been eating sweets out the wazzoo, so I didn't want a huge cake sitting around that we would feel the need to eat on. I got the bright idea to make a half recipe cake, and I used pyrex bowls to bake it in. It turned into an adorable little cake! The cake was still cooling when mike called to say he was on his way home. This was when I turned into frantic mode, trying to frost the cake, clean up the mess, and hide the cake and present so my dear hubby would have no idea what was going on! Well, I succeeded...have a look.

I hid the cake under a plastic bin on top of the laundry shelf above the washing machine. Sneaky , sneaky!
I hid his gifts behind my wedding dress hanging in the closet.

On thursday morning, I woke up early and put everything on the table so when he woke up, it was all there for him. For his little cake, I had to go out special the night before and get the kind with the numbers, because I couldn't get 27 candles to fit on it.

Make a wish honey! I love you!
Another funny story about the gifts, I got a package from my mom in the mail wednesday and i thought for sure it was a gift to michael. Imagine my, and his surprise, when he opens that package and it is for me, oops!

Another part of mikes birthday was going to Vail for the weekend, and to New Belgium thursday afternoon. Thursday afternoon after my classes we biked to new belgium and did a short tour. They have a really neat operation. After a class cancelation ( I could hear the angels singing, now we didn't have to leave during rush hour!) we headed out to vail, specifically Gypsum, for a weekend with Jarid and Susie. More on that adventure later!

No comments:

Post a Comment