Where were you born?
I was born in Rantoul, IL, at an air force base. My dad was in the air force and my parents moved there and stayed there only six months, which was when of course I had to be born. So I have no emotional connection to Illinois. I've never even been there again since!
Why did you decide to go to college in Fort Collins, and pick the degree you did?
Well, I didn't know what to do with myself after I finished high school in Westcliffe. I was a big homebody. I wanted to go to a private school and applied and was accepted to several, but even with scholarships, I couldn't really afford to go. I know a ton of people walk out of school with a lot of money in loans, but I didn't want to be that far in debt, ever! It scared me. So I decided to go in state. I chose Colorado State University in Fort Collins, because of the science programs they had. I could have chosen CSU in Pueblo, which is only an hour and 15min away from my fam, but they didn't have the academic options. I started as Microbiology because I had this grand idea of helping the greater good and developing wonder drugs and helping the planet! But that dream was canned after I worked in a microbiology lab. As a lab technician, it is lonely days, in concrete rooms with no windows, with mosquitos, mice, and microscopes for friends. I switched to Environmental Health when I met with the career people a couple of times and they convinced me that EH would be a great mix of people and science. So I completed my major in that.
What was it about your husband that made you decide to marry him?
Well, it was his incessant smile, and his incessant determination to win my heart. He made me come alive. I couldn't believe it when I first met him and when he asked me out. He totally seemed out of my league, and not my type. But I was wrong and stand corrected. God seemed to know what was best for me. As much as Michael drove me crazy sometimes. I was drawn to him and didn't want to live without him. He has, and is, making my life the adventure I always wanted it to be.
So you married after you graduated from college, but you are back getting your masters. How is this school experience different from the first.
Honestly, it is weird and normal being married and in college. It is normal because I was never the "partier" type and didn't really go out to meet guys or go dating for the heck of it. It is normal for me to hang out with my church friends or Michael, we just live together now. Weird because I was really reserved my first time through college and now I am much more outgoing and spontaneous. I wish I would have allowed myself to have more fun the first time, instead of study so much. This time I feel like I get a second chance, but now I am married and can't just do whatever I want when I want to do it.
You were really reserved? What does that mean and how does that correspond to the kind of person you are?
This question really hits home for me. I have always been the kind of person that was "its on the inside what counts." And truly believe that God looks at the heart, not necessarily what is on the outside of a person. I am truly inspired by people who stand up for what they believe in, even when it is really hard, or against the march of the day. I have always been a strong believer in God, and have really tried to put him first. I felt like our society judged everyone so much by their looks, and not who was really there. My first college years were filled with uncertainty and rules. I had moved to a new place, didn't know anyone, and was very careful about the crowd I hung out with, and made sure to avoid all the "evils" of the college life. I didn't want to be hypocritical and call myself a christian, but live a live contrary to the Bible. Sure, I kept myself from having what everyone calls "the normal college experience" and I don't regret it at all except for the fact I lived in so much fear. Fear I was going to commit some big sin, fear of rejection, fear of never being good enough, etc...all things young girls struggle with in high school. Mine just came late. Now I feel like I have grown up so much more and realize so much more about God, and what is important, although I do believe that God really does want that moral, consistent life from us, and I do understand that we all sin. I am now less reserved, and much more open with people, and not afraid.
So God is the driving factor in your life?
Yes, definitely. As much as God and I have wrestled the past five years. He is my inspiration, my reason for living, and more importantly, my God; and the creator of the universe!
Well, we'd like to interview you again sometime and learn some more about you, due to time constraints, I think we should call this for today.
That is fine! I'll be back! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment