Thursday, May 22, 2014

Vegan Dessert Frosting

I'm in heaven.  I've had to give up so many things for so long, but I have finally found a dessert that is...

1) Healthy
2) Doesn't make me feel deprived
3) Can be eaten for breakfast

It is a vegan dessert dip from Chocolate Covered Katie, a dessert blog I like to follow.  I made her chocolate chip cookie dough brownies for Mother's Day...uh, YUM!  They were gluten free and vegan, which is kind of hard to do, but that recipe tastes like the real deal.  Even Mike liked them.  But the cookie dough dip for on top of the brownies, this is my new fave.  I have since modified the dip for my own personal use.

I have been putting it on my pancakes in the morning, or on top of muffins.  I made some zucchini bread the other day and when I put this on top last night, it tasted like I was eating a piece of cake with icing! It is just all around delicious and fun.  See the recipe below for what makes it healthier.  Well, relatively healthier.  There is still sugar in it, but less than maple syrup and certainly better for you than the artificial (corn syrup) syrups and actual frosting. I think you could even cut back on the sugar more than I already have (original recipe had more sugar).  Plus, this has fiber, protein, and healthy fats!  I wish I had a picture for you, but I don't right now.  Maybe I will try to take one later that just doesn't look like frosting in a bowl :-)

Vegan Dessert Dip or Frosting: 


  • 1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed very well
  • 1/3 Cup sunbutter (or peanut or almond butter)
  • 1/2 Cup unpacked brown sugar
  • 1.5 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8th tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 TBS ground flax (flax meal)
  • 1/4 C nondairy milk of choice (I have used rice and flax milk)
  • 1/3 C dairy and soy free mini chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1/4 C cocoa powder (for chocolate frosting-type dip)

Directions:

  1. Put all ingredients except chocolate chips into food processor.  Process until mixture becomes fully ground and resembles a thick frosting consistency.  You may need to add more nut butter, flax, or milk to compensate if it is too dry, too wet, etc.  
  2. Stir in the chocolate chips if you wanted to add them.
  3. Use on whatever you want!! 
I had the idea for the chocolate version after eating the original version (without cocoa) on a raspberry muffin.  While eating the muffin, I was like "mmm, if I made a chocolate version, this would be chocolate frosting!" and the evolution of the dip into frosting was formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment